Sunday, October 11, 2009

11.

Delicious seems like it could be very useful. Not only does it allow users to organize their bookmarks by multiple categories, it allows them to be accessed from any computer with internet connectivity. This seems especially useful to me as I can be on three or four computers throughout the day. The tagging would be very useful for research, especially when articles address multiple topics. I may end up using delicious to help out with my research projects this semester.

In addition to research, this could would obviously be very useful for personal bookmarking. What comes to mind immediately for me is all the recipes I bookmark. Rather than just having something organized under seafood, I could have it under seafood, pasta, and tomatoes.

I'm a bit unsure about the potential of something like this for library-patron interaction. The problem would be if a library used one social bookmarking utility, it would be much more useful for the patrons who used that utility than patrons who used another. Perhaps there is a middle ground. This doesn't mean a library should abandon something with so much potential. Like wikis, this could point patrons toward useful information they might not otherwise find.

Also, it seems that this would be a great way for inter and intra-library communication. Useful library-related articles, websites, and other things of that nature could be shared this way (the same could be said of archives).

No comments:

Post a Comment