Sunday, October 11, 2009

18.

At this point in my things I am getting a bit fatigued with all this technology. I may have to join the Amish.

Youtube is one of the technologies I am most ambivalent about. On one hand it is obviously very useful. It's a great way to post videos about a variety of subjects. Unfortunately it seems to me that it is mainly used for 15 minutes of fame novelty videos. Also, many of the videos on worthwhile subjects are often like our friend from thing 1: a video of some person who we'd all rather not look at, talking about something that would be just as effective in text.

Of course, sites like youtube are meant for hosting. This means that you can embed videos directly on your library or archive website, rather than subjecting poor unsuspecting patrons to the web's most popular videos. This is a win-win, as long as librarians realize that they may not be the best looking people around.


No comments:

Post a Comment