Sunday, October 11, 2009

15.

This is the most interesting Thing so far. I am just starting the thing and my initial feeling is that this won't be very useful for libraries, even to the point of being a distraction. Video games are an excellent way to waste time. Maybe once I'm through reading about the use of these games in libraries, my mind will have been changed...

OK, so after watching and reading a few of the ideas on Second Life, I am a little more well-disposed to the idea. In particular I found the book discussions and art exhibits compelling. I hadn't even heard of Second Life (I'm 22 so you'd think I might have), but I guess it's pretty popular? This seems like a pretty innovative way to interact with a younger audience, as well as those adults who are very into video gaming.

That being said, the challenges for something like this are very big. For one, these types of games are extremely time consuming (my roommate last year failed out in his last semester before graduating because of World of Warcraft, and had been a very good student before). They also have a learning curve. These are really big issues for libraries that are already likely dealing with funding and staffing cuts. Do we really have the resources to devote to something like this? These resources could certainly be diverted to more useful things, in my opinion. This is not to say that things like this shouldn't be tried, but I think that this would be a waste of energy for most institutions.

By the way the First Life parody site is pretty hilarious. This brings up the issue, should we be encouraging kids to play video games? I know that games have some useful functions, I play games fairly often myself. I also read the "8 myths" and agree completely with all but the one about social interaction. I think the type of social interaction you get playing games is fairly limited. The biggest concern for me is that encouraging kids to play video games will keep them from actually getting outside and getting exercise, which they definitely need.

No comments:

Post a Comment