Monday, October 12, 2009

20.

I have used both facebook and myspace in the past. I do not maintain an active profile on either at the moment. I have considered reactivating my facebook profile for networking reasons, but I don't know if I will. As for myspace, I won't be going back. I prefer facebook to myspace because the interface is much better and it is a lot faster. Myspace allows users to add tons of pictures and colors and themes (oh my!) to their pages, and it bogs things down quite a bit.

Rather than reactivating my own facebook, I used my girlfriend's as a guinea pig. The group I foud was called Fighting for History: An Archivist Group. This seemed to be a decent archives-related group, with links to a few archival professional societies.

I found it interesting that the Denver Public library myspace was geared mainly toward teens. I understand that social networking has an image of being big among the younger demographic, but it has become very common among adults. I found it quite humorous that the profile picture was the myspace stereotype "emo kid," with the trademark swoopy bangs. As far as usefulness goes though, using social networking for publicity and for allowing patron input is a great idea and should be taken advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment