Monday, October 12, 2009

23.

Well, this is the final thing.

I am certainly more familiar with web 2.0 than I was before I started the things. In particular, I know more about RSS, social media, productivity, and alternative social networking. I think I appreciate some of the more practical applications of these tools than I did before I saw them in use in the library setting. I tended to think of most of these tools as rather frivolous before.

One of my favorite things is probably RSS, because I can get a feed of information on a range of topics. It could lead to a lot of interesting information.

I am also very excited about my flickr project. Flickr is great because it has so many amazing images, and you can find things through tagging that you would not normally think of. The application of flickr for archival photo collections is exciting because it allows the community to fill in knowledge gaps for archivists.

My biggest issue with the 23 things is that there is so much out there. I think the 23 things could make some people feel like their insitution needs to adopt all or most of these technologies in order to maintain relevance. While this may be true for some of the larger things blogs, social networking, and other useful user-contributed services, it is certainly not true for all. In particular, things like online gaming are largely frivolous pursuits. They are too labor intensive to benefit the vast majority of institutions. Technology is a great thing to augment traditional library and archival services, but it should not be the entire focus of institutions' efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment