Saturday, October 10, 2009

7.

My work (Research Division at OHS) uses email fairly frequently, although I would prefer if it was used more frequently. I regularly communicate with my coworkers in the archives through email. I find it more effective than speaking on the phone in most cases because it allows more detail and less "uhhs" in conversation. Speaking on the phone is generally quicker, but I don't like voicemail. Voicemails tend to leave me thinking "what on Earth were they talking about?" So, if I'm away from the phone (which I am more often than not) I certainly prefer an email.

Unfortunately our library reading room (where patrons come and ask questions about archival materials) does not communicate effectively with us through email. Always being by a phone is not realistic for my particular job, but I am almost always on a computer. The obvious solution is email, but I guess if you have a patron breathing down your neck the phone is much more attractive.

I also use chat in gmail to communicate with my coworkers. Once again, I prefer this to the phone because it allows for a real time conversation without distracting from other duties. Its nice because if I step away from the computer and log out of gmail, the messages will still be sent to me in an email.

I do not use facebook or twitter, although I used to have a facebook. All of my coworkers under 50 have facebooks though. I am not aware of any twitter users in our offices. I fail to see the usefulness of twitter for most anything (especially if you have a facebook with a status). I really honestly can't see how twitter would be useful for a library or archive. That sort of real time communication between institutions and patrons doesn't seem necessary. Maybe if a library had a facebook where patrons could comment, but why a twitter?

Although I abstain from facebook, I am an active user of text messages. I send thousands per month. This is mainly for personal use rather than at work. No one else at my work seems to be a big texter (the next youngest person I work with is 9 years older than me). In all honesty it is probably more of a distraction than anything. But it is ridiculously useful when you're trying to plan dinner or set up a game of tennis after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment